Cockburn

Cockburn

Mischief, mayhem and Washington gossip. Send tips and party invites to cockburn@thespectator.com.

AOC’s ethical fashion disaster

From our US edition

The Office of Congressional Ethics referred Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the House Ethics Committee Thursday to investigate “impermissible gifts associated with her attendance at the Met Gala in 2021.” This is no surprise for Cockburn — any committed socialist should be causing trouble and smashing the system from within! Ocasio-Cortez caused a stir when she appeared at the gala in a dress saying “Tax the Rich”. For months, AOC’s campaign was receiving emails from providers seeking remuneration for clothing, lodging, transport and hair styling, among other services given to the congresswoman. After repeated attempts to get a response from the congresswoman’s staffer, one email said “This invoice is still outstanding and EXTREMELY overdue.

aoc dress gala ethics

A short list of people who said the lab leak theory was a conspiracy

From our US edition

With the Energy Department joining the lab-leak party, will the apologies ever roll in to those so thoroughly excoriated for questioning the animal-human theory of Covid's origins? Cockburn has done a little digging and would like you to join him on a trip down memory lane, to revisit the litany of enlightened elites who proclaimed the lab-leak theory a conspiracy. From scientists to media talking heads, the condemnation of the lab-leak hypothesis was pretty universal in the early months of the pandemic, even going so far as to proclaim it racist.

second wave lab leak covid

Did Sam Brinton steal a Tanzanian designer’s clothes?

From our US edition

Tim Scott’s campaign preppers Rumors are flying that South Carolina senator Tim Scott is on track to announce his candidacy for president in 2024. The senator was in Iowa this week — and a tipster has provided Cockburn with more fuel for the fire. Scott's Senate campaign started adding conservative media folks to their supporters' email list this week, as journalists received messages welcoming them to the "team" they never signed up for. [caption id="attachment_45816" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] Senator Tim Scott campaign email (Screenshot obtained by The Spectator)[/caption] The forced sign-ups seemingly occurred the same day Scott gave a sweeping speech in Des Moines, in the first caucus state in the Republican primary.

sam brinton

George Santos grilled by Piers Morgan

From our US edition

Piers Morgan released an exclusive interview on Tuesday with New York congressman George Santos, America’s best-known “terrible liar.” Morgan pulled no punches, confronting Santos with just about every fib and truth-twisting comment he has uttered in the past decade. On the Fox Nation show, the congressman described himself as “just a regular person… flawed like every other human being.” And sure, how many of your friends create a résumé out of thin air, fabricate their family history and run for political office? Cockburn can think of a couple. Like most politicians these days, Santos played the victim card, claiming that he was the subject of “desperate journalists trying to build a journalistic career for them.

george santos

Ron DeSantis is scarier than Trump, says Vanity Fair

From our US edition

Cockburn has noticed a trend over at Vanity Fair, that once-esteemed publication. They write about Ron DeSantis, a lot. Obsessively, even. Searching “Ron DeSantis” on the VF site brings up ten articles concerning the Florida governor, published in the first half of February alone. VF correspondent Molly Jong-Fast, who the New York Times recently said “wasn’t a political expert” but found a following among Democrats for her “Trump-era angst,” is particularly panicked by DeSantis. Jong-Fast made hate-tweeting Trump her bread and butter, and the unimaginative collector of colorful eyeglasses (Cockburn counted three hues in this spread) is recycling her ire for a new era.

ron desantis

Afghanistan lacks #BlackGirlMagic, laments top US diplomat

From our US edition

White House correspondents behaving badly Getting President Biden to answer to the press is hard enough. His handlers in the administration make it even tougher. And now it seems journalists are linking arms with them to help the aging president out. Tamara Keith, current head of the White House Correspondents’ Association and its apparent hall monitor, chastised her colleagues in an email a tipster passed to Cockburn about “decorum.” (Cockburn, you will be shocked to hear, is not a WHCA member and so is at liberty) Keith took umbrage when “at least three journalists continued loudly shouting” over a reporter, “making it impossible for the president to hear and answer the question. It didn’t reflect well on our profession.

afghanistan blackgirlmagic

Will Biden finally go to Ukraine?

From our US edition

President Joe Biden’s administration has announced that he will be crossing the pond to Poland on February 20 through 22, just days before the one-year anniversary of Russia’s Ukraine invasion. Cockburn finds the dates curious — and wonders if the president will make a surprise visit to the epicenter of the conflict on the anniversary itself. The scheduled trip looks like it will already be a busy one, meeting with American allies in the region and reasserting Washington’s “unwavering support for the security of the Alliance.” The real kicker will be if Biden makes his way to Kyiv and meets Zelensky, ending the unfortunate distinction of him being one of the few Western leaders yet to travel to Ukraine.

biden blinken blob war syria iran ukraine hamas

Jim Clapper accuses Politico of disinformation

From our US edition

Former director of national intelligence James Clapper made a hamfisted attempt this week to tidy up statements he made in 2020. Allow Cockburn to guide you on a trip down memory lane: In October 2020, Clapper was one of more than fifty ex-intelligence officials who signed a "Public Statement on the Hunter Biden Emails" (see here). The statement said the emails published by the New York Post bore “all the classic earmarks of a Russian information operation” and that the signatories of the letter were “deeply suspicious that the Russian government played a significant role in this case.” Clapper appeared on CNN, too, where he said, “To me, this is just classic textbook Soviet Russian tradecraft at work.” https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1317307227963678721?

james clapper

Anna Paulina Luna kneecaps the Washington Post

From our US edition

Anna Paulina Luna is a bad girl. Why else would the Washington Post be so eager to discipline her? Reporters Jacqueline Alemany and Alice Crites, truly a modern-day Woodward and Bernstein, appear convinced that the freshman congresswoman representing Florida’s 13th congressional district is a George Santos retread. The pair of bullies went rummaging through Luna’s panty drawer in search of skeletons. The result? A lengthy article intended to punish her — to which several corrections and clarifications have been added in the days since its publication.

state of the union anna paulina luna washington post
Gaitskill sex pill sex

The New York Times would like you to have more sex, please

From our US edition

America isn’t having enough sex. Phew. Cockburn thought it was just him — but now the New York Times is issuing a call-to-arms: Americans need to bump uglies more! In the national paper of record, Magdalene J. Taylor wrote a guest essay in favor of sex, arguing that it is a "critical part of our social wellbeing, not an indulgence or an afterthought" and explaining “across almost every demographic group, American adults old and young, single and coupled, rich and poor are having less sex than they have had at any point in at least the past three decades.” She goes on to say that, “In the 1990s, about half of Americans were having sex weekly or more — that figure is now under 40 percent. For many who are having sex, the frequency has dropped precipitously.

kanye west wife bianca censori handler

Bianca Censori: Kanye West’s new handler

From our US edition

Cockburn would usually think twice about celebrating a man that’s under his wife’s thumb. But after seeing reports that Kanye West's new wife Bianca Censori “runs the show,” Cockburn can’t help but think that arrangement is probably for the best. The forty-five-year-old disgraced rapper shocked fans last month when he married the Yeezy architectural designer Censori, in a top-secret ceremony just two months after finalizing his divorce from Kim Kardashian. A source told the Sun, "Bianca runs the show. She has been around Ye for about three years, things got serious really fast in mid-November. "Bianca handles Ye's daily logistics from Yeezy clothing management to construction of the new Yeezy headquarters/ Donda Academy.

Former Spectator deputy editor turns government censor

From our US edition

Biden’s pornbrained FCC nominee One of President Joe Biden’s most embattled nominees for the powerful Federal Communications Commission was a staunch supporter of Ugly George, New York City’s “Cult Porno King,” and his right to showcase naked women on cable channels he leased, Cockburn has learned. Gigi Sohn is a lawyer by trade — and her past legal activism suggests that she’ll take a lax approach towards the never-ending influx of sexually explicit content on TV. Back in 1995, the Associated Press reported that Sohn “lamented” a court decision that upheld a law designed to limit people like Ugly George’s ability to air sexually explicit content during daytime hours.

anne applebaum

Kim Petras: who is Sam Smith’s ‘satanic’ trans sidekick?

From our US edition

More than 12 million people watched Sunday night as Sam Smith and Kim Petras performed their award-winning song "Unholy" on the Grammys stage. Smith, a male soul and pop singer who now identifies as nonbinary, fashioned himself as a bulbous Satan, prancing around in latex pants and heeled boots, a bedazzled cane, and a top hat with devil horns. Plenty has been said about Smith's cosplay — and the deterioration of his (their?) appearance since "coming out" — but many glossed over his sidekick, Kim Petras. Petras, thirty, sings the second verse of "Unholy" and spent the Grammys performance locked in a cage. She is signed with Republic Records and has released two albums and an EP called "Slut Pop". The German singer's tracks are rife with sexual imagery.

kim petras

Anthony Fauci cashing in as $100k ‘motivational speaker’

From our US edition

When Cockburn turns on the television these days, something is missing. Then he realizes — that (very) little something is Dr. Anthony Fauci, whose 400-plus media events during the Covid pandemic made him a fixture of the tube. Then one day, after we made him the highest paid employee in the federal government, Fauci upped and left, abandoning us to figure out on our own if we should stay home when we’re sick. or if coughing on our ancient relatives is a good idea or not. But if you thought you’d seen the last of Fauci, never fear — the man has reemerged like an Omicron variant, this time as a motivational speaker.

anthony fauci

George Santos thinks the Hobbit movies were better than Lord of the Rings

From our US edition

Hammer time Cockburn hears that Jamie Kirchick, the New York Times bestselling author and sometime Speccie writer, has scored an exclusive interview with Armie Hammer, the disgraced Call Me By Your Name star that just might be a cannibal, out this weekend in Graydon Carter's Air Mail. Cockburn wonders whether the meet was over dinner — and if so, who was on the menu… Will CPAC be wack? We are just a month away from CPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, which in the Trump era was one of the highlights of Cockburn's year (as you can see from his previous coverage). But buzz ahead of the flagship conservative conference this year has been muted — and right now the line-up lacks the dazzle of previous years, though it does, of course, include President Trump.

george santos hobbit
meghan spotify

Spotify logs losses and cuts jobs after splurging on Meghan

From our US edition

Being friends with Meghan Markle may cost you socially, but now it’s looking like it’ll ruin you financially as well. The streaming service Spotify has logged $230 million in losses, after the CEO has admitted to getting "carried away" with major investments in the past year. This includes Spotify’s lightbulb moment of throwing $18 million at Meghan and Harry for, checks notes, twelve hours of content, where Duchess Difficult invents more things to complain about. Prince Harry mustered up as much brain power as he could for the podcast, which saw him telling tennis star Serena Williams, “I like what you've done with your hair. It's a great vibe.” Enlightening, Haz.

spy balloon

Shoot down the balloon!

From our US edition

Like many of you, Cockburn has been following the developing story involving the Chinese spy balloon currently hovering over Montana. For those unaware, sometime over the last few days a spy balloon has floated over the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, across Canadian airspace and entered into Montana, where it's been for several days. It traveled at an altitude of around 50,000ft and is currently not far from the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base, which houses a portion of America's intercontinental ballistic missiles, among many other key military assets.

The Sims adds double mastectomy scars and chest binders to game

From our US edition

The Sims is now trans-inclusive! Electronic Arts, the gaming company behind the wildly successful Sims franchise, added the ability to give your custom sims double mastectomy scars, tucking underwear, and chest binders in the latest update to The Sims 4. The new Create a Sim options are available for teen, young adult and adult sims. Teen sims attend high school in the game, so Electronic Arts is subtly promoting the idea of "top surgery" — or lopping off healthy breasts so that females may appear physically more male — for minors. According to one study, chest reconstruction surgeries for minors in the United States rose by nearly 400 percent between 2016 and 2019. https://twitter.com/make_it_sizzle/status/1620553289078284288?

Visitors try out the game 'SIMS 4' at the Electronic Arts stand at the 2014 Gamescom gaming trade fair (Photo by Sascha Steinbach/Getty Images)
larry elder

Larry Elder 2024? Radio host may run for president for some reason

From our US edition

The field of 2023 Republican presidential contenders may soon get larger: commentator Larry Elder said he may jump into the race as soon as March. Cockburn is skeptical that this will make much of a difference in a race that is already largely defined by the two biggest fish in the pond: Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis. Elder made the surprise comments on SiriusXM’s The Megyn Kelly Show on Monday January 30. Elder said that he is not considering a run “because I want to derail Trump or DeSantis or anybody who decides to run.” He also mentioned the two main concerns that he wants to focus on, should he opt to run: “the centrality of having fathers in the home”, and “debunk[ing] this lie about systemic racism.

Lori Lightfoot: footloose and fancy-free as Chicago crime soars

From our US edition

Cockburn found himself grimacing over his Monday morning mimosa as he watched a viral video of Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot “dancing” in the snow-strewn streets of the crime-ridden city she is supposed to govern. Lightfoot is under fire for her behavior at a Lunar New Year parade, as her lighthearted attitude contrasts sharply with the recent release of somber Chicago Police Department data showing crime reports have surged 59 percent this month compared to last January. Of course Cockburn is not surprised that Lightfoot would be so nonchalant in such a moment. Her city's crime problem is, after all, nothing new. According to the Washington Examiner, “the city has experienced an overall 33 percent increase in crime since 2019, the year Lightfoot was sworn in as mayor.