Jonathan Sacerdoti

Jonathan Sacerdoti

Jonathan Sacerdoti is a broadcaster and writer covering politics, culture and religion

The delusion of western Palestine activists in Egypt

From our UK edition

As the news cycle shifts its gaze to Iran and the escalating war to prevent the psychotic Islamic theocracy from going nuclear, spare a thought for the few hundred virtue-signalling westerners who thought it would be clever to traipse through Egypt and attempt to approach the Gaza border, armed not with aid or expertise, but with slogans, smartphones, and a boundless belief in their own moral radiance. They came, allegedly, to show solidarity with Gaza. What they revealed, instead, was the sheer delusion of performative activism gone rogue. Egypt, they quickly discovered, is not Glastonbury These self-styled heroes of humanity had absorbed the wildest claims from Hamas propagandists: tales of genocide, disproportionality, and babies being starved by 'Zionists' for sport.

The danger of recognising a Palestinian state

From our UK edition

As Western leaders prepare to gather in New York this week to discuss international recognition of a Palestinian state, a stark signal from Washington demands their attention. US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee has openly stated that he does not believe Palestinian statehood remains an American foreign policy goal. 'Unless there are some significant things that happen that change the culture, there's no room for it,' Huckabee told Bloomberg News this week, adding that such changes 'probably won't happen in our lifetime'. The White House, far from rebuking him, referred reporters to past remarks from President Trump questioning whether a two-state solution 'is going to work'.

Iranian rockets will not dim Israel’s resolve

From our UK edition

Tel Aviv, Israel Israelis last night once again found themselves seeking shelter as the Islamic Revolutionary forces in Iran launched their long-anticipated retaliation for Israel’s 15-hour offensive against their nuclear and ballistic missile facilities. The Israeli strikes themselves had come as something of a surprise, not entirely unforeseen, but unexpected in their timing. Perhaps as part of an elaborate decoy, or perhaps as an unfortunate casualty of circumstance, the annual Tel Aviv Pride parade – whose stages, tents and other facilities had been installed and tested throughout Thursday – was dismantled on Friday before the event could take place. Caitlyn Jenner, perhaps the world’s most famous ‘trans’ activist, had flown in specially for the occasion.

Israel’s shadow war on Iran has burst into the open

From our UK edition

Woken by sirens outside my window in Israel at 3 a.m. I made my way to the bomb shelter in the basement, reaching for my phone on the way. An unusual and urgent message appeared on the screen which had been sent to the entire nation: Home Front Command had updated its guidelines with immediate effect. Israelis are instructed to know where their nearest protected space is, to avoid unnecessary movement, and to prepare for possible extended periods in shelters. Public institutions are not to open. The meaning was clear: the long-anticipated Israeli operation against Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programmes had begun.

Is Israel preparing to strike Iran?

From our UK edition

While much of the Western debate remains trapped in tired slogans and false moral narratives, events on the ground in the Middle East have taken a decisive turn. In the past 24 hours, U.S. embassies have begun evacuating non-essential staff. Military dependents are being authorised to leave key bases. Multiple reports say U.S. officials have been told Israel is fully ready to launch an operation against Iran if required, and Washington expects possible Iranian retaliation on American sites in Iraq. The U.S. anticipates that Iranian retaliation against U.S.

Britain’s sanctioning of Israeli ministers is a grave mistake

From our UK edition

The United Kingdom’s decision this week to impose personal sanctions on two Israeli cabinet ministers, National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, is a grave error – not only strategically, but morally. In concert with Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Norway, Britain claims this move defends human rights and opposes settler violence. In truth, it represents a striking double standard, a capitulation to domestic partisan pressures, and even a step towards decreased relevance on the international stage. The UK is posturing for domestic political gain The contrast between Britain’s treatment of Israeli ministers and its posture towards the enablers of terrorism is glaring.

Is Hamas’s grip on Gaza weakening?

From our UK edition

The emergence of Yasser Abu Shabab and his 'Popular Forces' militia in eastern Rafah has become an unexpected fault line in the shifting landscape of Gaza. In recent days, a flurry of claims, counterclaims, and raw facts has begun to seep through the fog of war. Cracks are appearing in Hamas's once unchallenged grip, and new and uncertain dynamics are taking shape. Where these currents will lead is unclear. Abu Shabab himself has stepped into the spotlight with remarkable audacity. He has granted interviews, issued voice recordings, and cloaked his movement in the language of civic virtue. In a recent audio recording, he insisted: 'We have not and will not work with the occupation. Our goal is to protect Palestinian human rights from Hamas's terrorism.

Greta Thunberg should thank Israel for intercepting her Gaza selfie ship

From our UK edition

Once again, the Mediterranean has hosted a familiar theatre of self-satisfied spectacle. This time, however, the curtain has come down swiftly. The latest vessel to set sail in defiance of Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza – the Madleen, a boat bloated with virtue signalling and the vanity of performative compassion – has been intercepted by the Israeli Navy. The Madleen, a boat bloated with virtue signalling and the vanity of performative compassion, has been intercepted by the Israeli Navy The operation was executed peacefully and without casualties by fighters from Fleet 13, Israel’s naval commando forces.

Hamas doesn’t hold a monopoly on Palestinian terror

From our UK edition

Israeli forces operating inside Gaza have retrieved the body of Thai agricultural worker Nattapong Pinta, bringing to a close one of the many grim and unresolved chapters from the October 7th atrocities. In a joint operation by the Shin Bet and the IDF, based on intelligence gleaned from captured militants, the body was recovered in Rafah. Pinta had been abducted alive from Kibbutz Nir Oz during the Hamas-led assault, only to be murdered in captivity by a lesser-known but no less brutal Palestinian terror group: Kataeb al-Mujahideen. Among the cascade of horrors unleashed that day, one of the most harrowing sights remains etched in my memory Among the cascade of horrors unleashed that day, one of the most harrowing sights remains etched in my memory.

What happened to Piers Morgan?

From our UK edition

There was great fanfare when Piers Morgan re-entered the world of television three years ago to front a new prime-time show on Rupert Murdoch's TalkTV. Morgan framed the move as a fightback against cancel culture, a return to free speech, and a declaration of independence from the constraints of legacy media. Piers Morgan asks for the truth but refuses to hear it. pic.twitter.com/2LtEgoMJ5h— Natasha Hausdorff (@HausdorffMedia) June 3, 2025 'I'm delighted to now be returning to live television,' he announced in the show’s trailer, promising to 'cancel the cancel culture' and to bring 'lively, vigorous debate' and even, in his words, the increasingly taboo three-letter word: fun.

BBC editor accuses Trump of dishonesty – wrecking broadcaster’s impartiality

The BBC’s response to recent White House criticism over its Gaza coverage highlights the Corporation’s vulnerability on the question of impartiality in conflict reporting. What began as a public rebuke by Trump’s press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, over a disputed report quickly developed into a broader interrogation of the BBC’s editorial assumptions and its long-standing handling of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict. Jeremy Bowen, the BBC’s international editor, defended the Corporation and accused the Trump administration of dishonesty. Responding to Leavitt’s remarks, he said, “To be quite frank, the Trump administration does not have a good record when it comes to telling the truth itself. She’s making a political point, basically.

Donald Trump

When will the BBC admit it has an Israel problem?

From our UK edition

When the White House uses a press briefing to lambast a foreign broadcaster by name, something seismic has shifted. That’s exactly what happened today when Donald Trump’s press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, publicly accused the BBC of treating 'the word of Hamas as total truth' and challenged the White House's description of the broadcaster rushing out anti-Israel claims only to later bury the corrections.

Jews in America are under attack

From our UK edition

In Boulder, Colorado, eight elderly Jews were torched alive in a park. They wore red T-shirts bearing the names of hostages seized by Palestinian terrorists over 600 days earlier. Some carried Israeli flags. Walking peacefully in memory and solidarity, they were attacked with fire as a flamethrower and Molotov cocktails created flames as high as a tree. An 88-year-old Holocaust survivor was among the injured. The attacker, Mohamed Sabry Soliman, is reported to be an Egyptian national in the country illegally. He has been charged with 16 counts of attempted murder. Even as Jews in America are being attacked with increasing regularity, we have not seen the birth of a ‘Jewish Lives Matter’ campaign. No nationwide reckoning. No marches filling the streets.

The rush to blame Israel is bad for journalism

From our UK edition

If the war in Gaza has taught the world anything, it is this: truth in war is rarely immediate. In the fog of conflict, facts take time, evidence can be manipulated and early narratives are often weaponised. Yet time and again, much of the international media – and too many public officials – refuse to learn this lesson. Faced with shocking claims, particularly when they implicate Israel, they rush to publish, to condemn, to headline. Rarely do they wait for verification. Even more rarely do they correct with the same urgency when the facts unravel.

Israel faces a brutal choice

From our UK edition

For months, Israel has faced a relentless barrage of criticism over its conduct in Gaza – from western governments, UN agencies, and media outlets that once claimed to be her allies. Central to the condemnation are the humanitarian circumstances: civilian suffering, limited aid access, and Israel’s temporary obstruction of some relief efforts. What has gone largely unreported, however, is that the bold new strategy in place may now be altering that equation entirely – a direct aid delivery mechanism, led by American contractors, that is not only reaching civilians more effectively but also weakening Hamas from within. You would never have guessed from the way some world leaders have condemned it. For years, aid to Gaza flowed through Hamas-linked channels.

The case for looking back in anger

From our UK edition

Last week marked the anniversary of the Manchester Arena bombing – the deadliest terrorist attack on British soil since the 7/7 London bombings. Twenty-two people were murdered, most of them children and teenagers, at a pop concert targeted with deliberate cruelty. Among them was Saffie-Rose Roussos, just eight years old – the youngest known victim of terrorism in UK history. It was the first time a jihadist attack in Britain had deliberately targeted a music venue, the first of its scale in Northern England, and the deadliest ever on a civilian crowd in that region. Our love, we’re told, must be stronger than their hate. But I believe, deeply, that this is part of the problem The attacker used a homemade nail bomb – built to kill, but also to maim and disfigure.

Are British taxpayers funding Hamas?

From our UK edition

British taxpayer funds, earmarked for humanitarian aid in Gaza, may have passed through Hamas-controlled structures, according to a report on Israel’s Channel 12 over the weekend. The core of the allegation is not that the UK sought to support terrorism, but that its aid strategy operated in concert with the very machinery that sustains Hamas’s rule. If that proves accurate, what does it say about the integrity of our government’s foreign assistance and the sincerity of its professed commitment to international law? A British Consulate-General policy plan warned that ‘UK Aid can be linked directly or indirectly with supporting the de facto authority (Hamas) in Gaza which is part of a proscribed group.

Israeli Embassy terror suspect formed by hard-left and BLM

The murder last night of two young Israeli embassy staffers, Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Milgrim, on a street in Washington, DC was horrifying, but not surprising. The couple was gunned down outside the Capital Jewish Museum. A suspect then walked into the building, accepted water from those who thought he was a victim, and began chanting “Free Palestine.” He pulled a red keffiyeh from his pocket and invoked the old rallying cry: “There is only one solution. Intifada revolution.” The man now in custody, Elias Rodriguez, was once associated with the Party for Socialism and Liberation, a hard-left political group whose slogans echo in anti-Israel demonstrations across the country. In the hours before the shooting, the group posted: “End the genocide. Israel out of Gaza now.

Elias Rodriguez

The Washington shooting is a chilling warning to Jews everywhere

From our UK edition

Waking early on Thursday in London, I read the news on a half-lit phone screen: two people, Israeli embassy staff, gunned down outside the Capital Jewish Museum in Washington D.C. A man shouted “Free Palestine,” – of course he did – after he had fired his weapon and walked inside the building – where, in an extraordinary confusion of roles, guests offered him water and comfort, believing he too had been a victim. In a way, maybe he had. A man shouted “Free Palestine,” – of course he did – after he had fired his weapon Though our airwaves and streets have been filled with talk of genocide, that word is rarely explored or explained with honesty.

Israel is prepared to go it alone in Gaza

From our UK edition

As Israel presses ahead with Operation Gideon’s Chariots, its most ambitious military campaign in Gaza since the war began, the political landscape surrounding the conflict is shifting – and not in Israel’s favour. Britain’s suspension of trade talks, the summoning of Israeli Ambassador Tzipi Hotovely, and coordinated statements of condemnation from the UK, France and Canada mark the strongest international censure yet. For many in Jerusalem, this is not only short-sighted but morally confounding. Israel’s operation, launched with the stated aim of eliminating Hamas’s military infrastructure and securing the return of its hostages, comes after months of inconclusive ceasefires, failed negotiations, and mounting frustration.