Steerpike

Steerpike

Steerpike is The Spectator's gossip columnist, serving up the latest tittle tattle from Westminster and beyond. Email tips to steerpike@spectator.co.uk or message @MrSteerpike

Simon Case’s five worst WhatsApp moments

From our UK edition

At long last, Simon Case has received his hearing date for the UK Covid Inquiry. The most senior civil servant in the country was initially excluded from the Inquiry for health reasons, but now that he’s back and fighting fit, the top mandarin has been told to appear in front of Baroness Hallett on 23 May 2024. Incidentally, it’s the same day that Paula Vennells is due to give evidence to the Post Office Horizon IT inquiry. The phrase 'dead cat' comes to mind… Case became the youngest ever Cabinet Secretary when he was appointed by Boris Johnson in 2020, but perhaps his relative youth made him a little too savvy at — and reliant on — advising by the new-fangled medium of WhatsApp. He’s certainly had his fair share of messaging disasters exposed by recent leaks.

BBC apologises for calling Reform ‘far-right’

From our UK edition

Another day, another BBC blunder. This time the broadcaster admits that it was wrong to describe Richard Tice’s Reform UK party as ‘far-right’ in a recent news report: In an article about the Liberal Democrats’ spring conference we wrongly described the political party Reform UK as far-right when referring to polling. This sentence was subsequently removed from the article as it fell short of our usual editorial standards.  The original article, which relays Sir Ed Davey's plea to the Lib Dems to 'make this a once-in-a-generation election', has also been amended. The BBC attributes the error as being down to ‘news agency copy’, adding in its corrections page that ‘we take full responsibility and apologise for the error’.

Watch: Labour MP apologises for foul-mouthed Commons outburst

From our UK edition

The Rwanda bill was back in the Commons on Monday night as the ping pong between the two chambers continues. The evening became a tad rowdier than expected, however, after one MP decided to exercise some rather vulgar language during the session…  One politician shocked his colleagues after he was heard shouting 'sh***' during the debate. Deputy Speaker Sir Roger Gale was having none of it, fuming: ‘I'm informed that a Member swore at one of the doorkeepers this evening who on my instructions locked the doors’ and added that once the individual is identified, the ‘consequences will be very severe’. Oo er. Gale didn’t have to investigate for too long, however, before an embarrassed Labour MP handed himself in.

Night czar is ‘good value for money’ insists Sadiq Khan

From our UK edition

Back to one of Sadiq Khan’s worst mistakes in office: Amy Lamé. The underwhelming ‘night czar’ is in the news again after Khan tried to persuade Londoners that the £120,000-a-year Lamé is worth the money. Speaking to Times Radio this morning, the London mayor was quizzed about the city’s failing nighttime economy. ‘New York is the city that never sleeps,’ said the presenter. ‘London is the city that likes to go to bed early with a cup of Horlicks.’ Scrabbling for a retort, Khan had barely found one before he was hit with the next zinger: ‘Why are you paying a DJ 120 grand to be a night czar? That's not value for money, is it?

Watch: Tories should keep Hester donation, says Badenoch

From our UK edition

The Tory donor racism row has entered its second week, much to the dismay of politicians on all sides of the chamber. Both the Conservatives and Labour have had to face uncomfortable questions on Frank Hester's remarks about Diane Abbott in the last week. After the Tories were criticised for taking too long to condemn the comments as 'racist', transport secretary Mark Harper defended his party on Sunday, telling the BBC that the Prime Minister had wanted to check the veracity of the remarks first. And the Labour party was blasted by Abbott herself last week, writing in an op-ed about her experience of 'abusive' officials in her former party who 'did not actually call for me to be shot but the tenor was not dissimilar to what Hester said'.

SNP splits emerge over election message

From our UK edition

Another day, another SNP spat. Humza Yousaf spent the weekend trying to drum up support amongst his core voters for his nationalist party, which is predicted to lose almost half of its Westminster seats to Labour in the general election. The main problem with the First Minister’s message, however, was that it seemed to focus on the wrong target. ‘In this election, we have the chance to finally make Scotland Tory-free, for the first time in almost a quarter of a century,’ Yousaf roared at his audience. ‘Most seats across Scotland are a straight fight between the SNP and the Tories. Let the message from our party be heard loud and clear by every Tory MP in Scotland. Your time is up and the SNP is coming for you.’ Scary stuff.

SNP leader’s bizarre Anas Sarwar rant

From our UK edition

In the midst of a new development in the never-ending motorhome saga, Humza Yousaf addressed a rather, er, sparse crowd at the SNP's 'national council' event in Perth today. With a speech that was much longer than it should have been, Yousaf spent most of his time lashing out at the Conservatives. Quelle surprise. 'We have the opportunity to ensure that Scotland is Tory free,' the First Minister told his devotees this afternoon. 'Not a single Tory MP left in Scotland. That is definitely a prize worth fighting for.' Possibly because he knows that trying to retain all his party's Westminster seats would be to fight a losing battle... But Yousaf didn't just contain himself to Tory-bashing. He quickly turned his attention to the real threat to his party: Labour.

We want our campervan back, demand Nats

From our UK edition

The SNP finance saga continues to drag on – but today it’s taken a rather strange turn. Last year, a £110,000 motorhome was seized by police from outside Nicola Sturgeon’s mother-in-law’s house as part of Operation Branchform into the party’s finances. On the same day, Sturgeon’s husband Peter Murrell was arrested, while Sturgeon and the SNP’s treasurer were taken in for questioning at later dates. All three were released, though the campervan purchase is currently being investigated alongside other transactions, including gardening equipment and, er, women’s razors.

Truss blasts Labour for putting ‘ideology’ before children

From our UK edition

Oh dear. Things haven’t quite gone to plan for Liz Truss. (Where have we heard that before?) The former prime minister was hoping to debate her private member’s bill in the Commons this afternoon — but MPs ran out of time.  In the same week that puberty blockers were banned for children, Truss’s Health and Equality Acts (Amendment) Bill would alter the current Equality Act to enshrine the legal definition of sex as ‘biological’. It was understood that the government were poised to back Truss’s bill, before amending it at a later stage. Despite rumours of Tory support, at third on the order paper it was never guaranteed that the former PM’s bill would be heard.

Porn project received thousands of pounds of Scottish taxpayers’ cash

From our UK edition

Good heavens. Just when you think events north of the border can’t get any more ridiculous, they do. Now it has emerged that the director of an, er, hardcore porn project managed to secure £85,000 from government-backed Creative Scotland in January. The production, directed by Leonie Rae Gasson and titled ‘Rein’, was set to involve ‘pornographic processes’ to film in the Highlands, while research for the project included a nine-minute sexually explicit film that aims to take viewers on a ‘magical, erotic journey through a distinctly Scottish landscape’. What's more, recruitment ads for Rein, which offered a daily fee of £270 for 'hardcore' acts, were advertised on the websites of publicly-funded arts groups.

Meghan launches new lifestyle brand

From our UK edition

Never able to keep herself from the spotlight for long, Meghan is back on Instagram. After her Archetypes podcast series failed and her previous blog The Tig bombed, the Queen of Privacy is embarking on a new venture. Now, the Duchess of Sussex is launching a lifestyle brand which she plans to use to resurrect her image by selling cookbooks, tableware and, er, marmalade. Eagle-eyed social media users were quick to spot a brand new Instagram account called ‘American Riviera Orchard’ this week, the biography reading: ‘By Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex.’ The account name is thought to be inspired by the location of Meghan and Harry’s luxury dwelling in Montecito.

Could Starmer really become the UK’s ‘most unpopular leader’?

From our UK edition

The Tory party hasn’t had the best week, what with one of their MPs defecting and their biggest donor embroiled in a racism row. But if Conservative politicians were looking for somewhere to go in Westminster this evening to lift their spirits, Mr S would not have recommended J. L. Partners’ ‘Election 2024’ event. Organised in word clouds and colourful charts, polling by the firm dubbed Rishi Sunak 'weak', showed the public want more 'honesty' in politics and revealed that a not insignificant proportion of 2019 Tory voters would rather, um, Martin Lewis the money-saving expert as their PM. It's all a rather poor indictment of the Tories' track record as they head into the next election... Panellist Will Dry — the former Sunak campaigner and No.

Matheson breached code of conduct over iPad scandal

From our UK edition

Back to the curious case of Michael Matheson and his £11,000 iPad bill. Despite desperate attempts by the former health secretary to stall the publication of a report into his behaviour — after Matheson tried to lump taxpayers with his ruinous roaming charges — the verdict is in. It has now been revealed that the disgraced ex-minister did indeed breach the MSP code of conduct.  Matheson's rule-breaking charges come after he was deemed to fall short on parliamentary standards and for improper — to put it mildly — use of expenses. The investigation results, released today by the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB), come ahead of the publication of the full report in its entirety.

Abbott blasts ‘abusive’ Labour party officials in racism row

From our UK edition

The Tories have had a tough week trying to find their line on comments made by their biggest donor Frank Hester. But the Labour party hasn’t escaped unscathed either. Independent MP Diane Abbott has taken her side of the story to the papers — and delivered a blistering attack on her former party. Abbott revealed in the Guardian that she had been planning to ask the Prime Minister about Frank Hester’s remarks in the Commons. But despite attempting to get the Speaker’s attention almost, er, 50 times, Abbott wasn't successful. Turning to the column pages, she described how she had been ‘upset but not surprised’ by Hester’s comments and slammed the Tories for playing ’the race card’. Then she turned the guns on Labour...

Gove in extremism muddle over Tory donor

From our UK edition

Back to Westminster, where Michael Gove has revealed his brand new definition of extremism today in a bid to push back against fanaticism. The communities secretary has offered assurances that there will be a high bar for defining a group as extremist, and that a 'rigorous process' would be followed when identifying group of concern. Affected organisations will miss out on government grants and ministerial meetings. Critics have suggested the broader definition could have a ‘chilling effect’ on free speech however and some rather, er, unusual alliances have formed in protest at the move. The communities secretary found himself in a tight spot this morning on the morning round.

Watch: Drakeford blasts ‘absent’ Boris at fiery Covid Inquiry hearing

From our UK edition

Back to the UK Covid Inquiry and today it’s in Cardiff, where Welsh Prime Minister Mark Drakeford has given some rather, er, colourful evidence. After watching Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak and Nicola Sturgeon being grilled in previous hearings, Drakeford had some idea at least of what to expect and prepare — and he’s certainly not left the media with a shortage of sound bites. The Welsh PM isn't holding back. He slammed the former PM for trying to ‘minimise the seriousness’ of Covid, Hancock was described as getting ‘the most basic things wrong’ and Cummings criticised for saying ‘no’ to a mass gathering ban.

Taxpayers foot SNP minister’s £2,500 chauffeur bill

From our UK edition

Dear oh dear. First the SNP’s health secretary attempted to use the public purse to cover his phone bill costs. Now, in a separate matter, the Scottish government’s tourism and trade minister has come under fire for lumping a similarly large bill on taxpayers. Richard Lochhead’s three-day trip to California resulted in a rather hefty expenses bill of £11,750. Responding to a freedom of information request, the Scottish government helpfully broke down how this money was spent. £8,000 plane tickets, £800 accommodation and just under £450 on extra ‘travel and subsistence’ costs illustrate a rather enjoyable stay. But the real zinger was the revelation that Lochhead racked up costs of £2,500 on 'chauffeur car travel'. Alright for some!

Robert Jenrick: The Tories have a young person problem

From our UK edition

Is ex-immigration minister Robert Jenrick on manoeuvres? He certainly looked the part as he waxed lyrical to a crowd of under 35s at the Onward’s ‘After Hours’ event in a Westminster pub. Jenrick said it was no surprise youngsters are struggling to get on the housing ladder. ‘You’re absolutely right to say that the housing crisis today is also an immigration crisis,’ he crowed to the audience. ‘You can’t have mass migration and an answer to the housing crisis.’ But while the Tory MP has been championing housing and migration issues over the last few years, tonight's focus was on the Tory issue with younger voters. ‘We are outliers in Europe and beyond in our inability to win over young people,’ he admitted.

Badenoch calls for forgiveness over Tory donor’s ‘racist’ remarks

From our UK edition

The Frank Hester saga continues after the Tory donor’s ‘rude’ remarks about Diane Abbott came to light on Monday. A Guardian investigation revealed that the West Yorkshire businessman had told colleagues in 2019 that looking at Abbott makes ‘you just want to hate all black women because she’s there’ and that ‘she should be shot’. Now Kemi Badenoch has spoken out on the issue. The business secretary, who is also minister for women and equalities, blasted Hester’s ‘appalling’ and ‘racist’ remarks on Tuesday afternoon — but added that there must be ‘space for forgiveness’. Writing on Twitter this afternoon, she said: Hester’s 2019 comments, as reported, were racist. I welcome his apology. Abbott and I disagree on a lot.

Watch: Humza Yousaf slams ‘institutionally Islamophobic’ Tories

From our UK edition

It's a day that ends in 'y' which means the leader of the SNP is once again harping on about independence. Today Humza Yousaf addressed a crowd at the the London School of Economics about the economic woes of Brexit and how, surprise surprise, 'achieving independence' is the only solution for the people of Scotland. Yousaf started jovially, pointing out that both his host Emma McCoy and interviewer Iain Begg had Caledonian ties. 'It just reminds me of that famous saying that there are two types of people in the world: Scots and those who want to be Scottish. There is a third, of course,' he quipped, 'those who lack any ambition whatsoever, but we shall look over those individuals.' A rather ironic dig from a leader who has himself achieved, er, not a great deal...