Steerpike

Steerpike

Steerpike is The Spectator's gossip columnist, serving up the latest tittle tattle from Westminster and beyond. Email tips to steerpike@spectator.co.uk or message @MrSteerpike

Scotland’s police at ‘breaking point’ over hate law

From our UK edition

Oh dear. As the furore around Scotland’s Hate Crime Act extends into its sixth day, there are now fears about police spending as the force looks set to struggle with the sheer volume of complaints. It is understood that, since the Act was implemented on Monday, 40 officers a day have been required to work overtime to help tackle reports. With officers being paid time and a third for working extra hours, there are concerns about overstretching the Police Scotland budget. What a mess... Over 3,000 hate crime complaints were submitted in the first 24 hours of the Act and the Scottish Tories have predicted that at this rate, over 1 million reports could be made in the first year of the new law – though Mr S rather doubts the rate of complaints will continue at the same pace.

Second Tory MP admits he was Westminster honeytrap target

From our UK edition

A second Tory MP has admitted that he was a target of the Westminster sexting honeytrap. Luke Evans, who represents Bosworth, revealed this evening that he was sent a photo of a naked woman on WhatsApp. ‘Here’s a video I didn’t expect to make on a Friday evening,’ Evans said in a Facebook video. ‘A month ago I was a victim of cyberflashing and malicious communications, and blew the whistle by reporting it to the police and the parliamentary authorities as soon as this happened.’  He went on: ‘The first set of messages I got was on a day I was with my wife and I got a one-time open photo on WhatsApp of an explicit image of a naked lady. As soon as I got these the next day I reported it to the police, the authorities on and the chief whip.

Sturgeon accused of being a part timer in Holyrood

From our UK edition

It’s been a year since Peter Murrell, the husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon, was arrested in connection with the police probe into SNP finances. Murrell was subsequently released pending further investigation, before the same fate met Sturgeon last summer. But while the SNP hasn’t caught a break since then, it seems Sturgeon has been enjoying a few too many. The former FM now sits as a backbencher in Holyrood, after her unexpected resignation last February. And it seems Sturgeon has rather enjoyed relinquishing her power. Labelled a ‘part-time MSP’ by the Scottish Conservatives, it transpires that in the last year, Sturgeon has made just four contributions at Holyrood — leaving her time to sign a £300,000 book deal.

Top ten moments of the SNP police probe

From our UK edition

One whole year has passed since the infamous forensic tent was set up outside former first minister Nicola Sturgeon's Glasgow home. On the same day, her husband and former chief executive of the party, Peter Murrell, was arrested in connection with the police probe into the 'missing' £600,000 of donations the party received for its IndyRef2 campaign. The police investigation, Operation Branchform, has been ongoing for three years and The Spectator has documented every twist and turn. Peter Murrell, former SNP CEO, is arrested A year ago today, the former chief executive of the SNP and Sturgeon’s husband, was arrested at 7.45am and taken into police custody.

Honeytrap scandal: William Wragg admits leaking MPs’ phone numbers

From our UK edition

Oh dear. There has tonight been a fresh development in the Westminster honeytrap sexting scandal.  William Wragg, the vice chairman of the 1922 committee, has admitted to the Times that he was the source responsible for leaking MPs’ phone numbers to a man he met on the gay dating app Grindr. Wragg, the chairman of the Public Administration Committee, said he provided the details after sending intimate pictures of himself to the user. Wragg said he was ‘scared that the man ‘had compromising things on me’.

Full list: Tories calling to end arms sales to Israel

From our UK edition

The tragic news of the deaths of three British aid workers in Gaza, killed in an Israeli strike, has sobered the nation this week. It sparked a strongly-worded letter from Rishi Sunak to Israel’s Prime Minister on Tuesday evening, in which Sunak said he was ‘appalled’ by the killing of aid workers and the ‘intolerable’ situation in the Middle East. The PM also told Benjamin Netanyahu that ‘Israel’s rightful aim of defeating Hamas would not be achieved by allowing a humanitarian catastrophe’.  Now, Conservative peers and MPs are publicly calling for the UK to halt arms sales to Israel.

Watch: Ex-Tory minister turns on Tom Tugendhat

From our UK edition

The Tories are battling bad press almost every day now, what with rumours of rebellions and leadership challenges on top of a number of unflattering polls. The party might have hoped, then, that if former Conservative MPs wanted to raise party-specific concerns they would do so in private — rather than adding publicly to the party's woes. Not so. Today, former government minister Sir Alan Duncan gave a fiery media performance to LBC when he came out gunning for certain Tory bigwigs — and even called for security minister Tom Tugendhat to be sacked. And now, in a further development only hours after his outburst, Duncan has been placed under investigation by the Conservative party. Crikey.

MPs targeted in sexting scam

From our UK edition

As if MPs didn’t have enough security threats to consider just now, a growing number of Westminster staff have raised concerns about being caught up in a phishing operation. 13 men have now come forward after receiving intimate and rather salacious messages from suspicious mobile numbers. Behind the messages, foreign affairs committee chair Alicia Kearns believes, is 'almost certainly a foreign state'. A Labour MP and a current government minister are among the targets, as well as a Tory backbencher, a former MP, a manager of an APPG, a former SpAd, four party staffers, two political journalists and a broadcaster.

Poll predicts Labour could become Scotland’s largest party

From our UK edition

As Scotland’s embattled First Minister continues to face backlash over his Hate Crime Act, his party has been hit with yet more bad news. New polling from YouGov suggests that Sir Keir Starmer’s Labour party will become the largest party in Scotland, taking 28 seats and pushing the SNP into second place. The Nats are predicted to lose almost 25 of their Westminster seats, retaining just 19, the next time the electorate head to the ballot box. The MRP poll suggests that Labour will sweep up across Scotland’s central belt – widely regarded within the Scottish party as being 'the first red wall to fall' – and is even predicted to take some Glasgow constituencies.

Four groups keeping quiet on the SNP’s Hate Crime Act

From our UK edition

It’s three days since Scotland's Hate Crime Act took effect and there is no sign of public outrage dissipating anytime soon. Within the first 24 hours of Humza Yousaf's hate bill becoming law, over 3,000 complaints were submitted — with the First Minister on the receiving end of more complaints than JK Rowling. Mr S isn't quite sure how much genuine hate crime has been reported but if there's one thing the Act has done successfully, it's stirring up a rather significant amount of hate for itself.  North of the border, the legislation is tearing the country apart. Murdo Fraser, the Scottish Tory MSP, continues to demand answers as to why he has a non-crime hate incident on his record but the First Minister — who has also had hate crime reports made against him — doesn't.

SNP minister under fire for confusing tax claims

From our UK edition

Is the SNP on a mission to make itself even more unpopular? Wellbeing economy minister Màiri McAllan is the latest politician to face a backlash after she confused voters with claims about Scotland’s progressive tax system on Twitter. McAllan first insisted that when making comparisons between Scotland and Ireland’s economic growth, the fact that Ireland was ‘(a) independent and (b) in the EU single market’ were ‘key recipes for growth’ and ‘critical to Scotland’s future prosperity’. Quelle surprise.

Damning poll reveals SNP supporters don’t think Yousaf is up to the job

From our UK edition

In a week that will prove testing for Humza Yousaf as public outrage over his hate crime bill continues, there is a tiny glimmer of hope for the beleaguered First Minister. A new poll has suggested that out of all the leaders of Scotland’s political parties, Yousaf is the public's top choice for First Minister. That is, however, where his good news ends. The poll, conducted by Find Out Now for Alex Salmond’s Alba party, surveyed just under 2,000 Scots about their preferences for First Minister. But while Yousaf ranked first, only a quarter of all voters picked him — and fewer than half of SNP supporters felt he was up to the job. Ouch…  In fact, the results make for rather unpleasant reading for all of Scotland’s party leaders.

Rishi Sunak slams Scotland’s Hate Crime Act

From our UK edition

Scotland’s Hate Crime Act has got off to a rather rocky start, to put it mildly. On Monday, when the bill came into force, renowned author JK Rowling took to Twitter to reiterate her concerns about how expressing gender critical views (namely, that biological sex is a reality) could be an offence under the new bill. Cue the pile on. And now even the Prime Minister has waded into the row. Taking Rowling's side, Rishi Sunak proclaimed last night that ‘people should not be criminalised for stating simple facts on biology’ while a government source told the Mail that with the bill comes the 'potential for seriously chilling effects on free speech'.

Watch: Keegan in spat with BBC presenter over childcare policy

From our UK edition

Easter recess may be in full swing, but government ministers aren’t getting a break. Education Secretary Gillian Keegan was sent out on the morning round today, to talk about the Tories’ free childcare expansion package. Eligible working parents of two-year-olds can now receive 15 hours of government-funded childcare a week during term time. From September, this will extend to working parents of all children older than nine months, before all eligible families will be able to receive the full rollout of 30 hours a week a year later. But the government and its opposition are feuding over the plans. Labour has taken issue with the scheme, querying how the proposals will be enacted given current staffing issues in nurseries.

Richard Tice and Jonathan Gullis in new war of words

From our UK edition

Reform are breathing down the neck of the Tories, according to the latest polls. So it's perhaps no surprise then that hostilities have stepped up between spokesmen for the two parties. The Mail on Sunday has today run a two-page story on various eccentric candidates standing for Reform at the forthcoming election. Among them include a man ordered to pay £2,000 for attacking a dog in a Dorset country lane, a fortune-teller who sold spells on OnlyFans and a Covid conspiracy theorist who likened Boris Johnson to Hitler. The story also includes a prominent quote by Jonathan Gullis, the newly-appointed Tory deputy chair, criticising Reform's vetting process. According to Gullis, 'We can only assume this cast of characters passed Mr Tice's muster.

New poll predicts dire results for Tories

From our UK edition

Oh dear. Another week, another bad poll for the Tories. The Conservative party’s prospects have plummeted further, with polling suggesting Rishi Sunak’s party is on track to win fewer than 100 seats. Labour, meanwhile, could win 468 — resulting in a rather astounding 286-seat majority. But that’s not the worst news for Sunak: Labour is very narrowly behind him, less than 2.5 percentage points, in his own seat. Ouch.  The Survation MRP poll, which quizzed 15,000 people, suggests Labour may win 45 per cent of the vote share, 19 points ahead of the Tories. Meanwhile, the Conservatives are on track to win a mere 98 seats. The Tories will win none in Wales or Scotland, the poll predicts — to the disappointment of the Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross.

Will Angela Rayner take her own advice?

From our UK edition

It seems Angela Rayner is in hot water again. The Labour deputy leader might have thought she had escaped unscathed from claims about the sale of her ex-council house. But Greater Manchester Police (GMP) now says it is reassessing its previous decision not to investigate allegations that she gave false information on official documents, in a potential breach of electoral law. A sub-optimal start for Labour's local election campaign today... For her part, Rayner continues to protest her innocence. She insists that the row is 'manufactured' in an attempt to 'smear' her. She told Newsnight last week that there had been 'no wrongdoing' and “no unlawfulness', adding: 'I’ve been very clear there’s no rules broken.

Galloway suggests Obama involvement in Moscow attack

From our UK edition

The fall-out continues from Friday's attack on Moscow concert hall attack in which 139 people were reported dead. Russian officials have directly accused Ukraine and the West of being involved – despite, er, the Islamic State claiming responsibility and releasing video of the atrocity. But in their bid to prove their side of events, the Russian state press is now citing an unlikely 'expert opinion'. Step forward George Galloway, the newly-elected MP for Rochdale, who is quoted approvingly at length in Russkaya Gazeta today, giving an 'expert opinion.' The quotes appear to be a distilled version of comments which Galloway made on his YouTube channel on Sunday.

Tories split on CCHQ attack ads

From our UK edition

It's five weeks to go until the local elections and Tory high command are stepping up their attacks. On Monday, the Conservatives released the first of several videos focusing on Labour controlled administrations. A 70-second, black-and-white video attacked Sadiq Khan's record and gravely intoned that 'London under Labour has become a crime capital of the world.' But the in-house clip, voiced by an unknown actor, has since divided opinion among Tories, amid controversy over its use of footage from a New York subway station. Mayoral candidate Susan Hall was quick to distance herself from the adverts, telling the BBC that the video had 'nothing to do' with her team. Hall's spokesman subsequently confirmed that the video had been created by Conservative Party headquarters.