Steerpike

Steerpike

Steerpike is The Spectator's gossip columnist, serving up the latest tittle tattle from Westminster and beyond. Email tips to steerpike@spectator.co.uk or message @MrSteerpike

Defence Select Committee move against Tobias Ellwood

From our UK edition

Oh dear. It seems that Tobias Ellwood has slipped up one too many times. On Monday night he posted a video declaring that Afghanistan under the Taliban has become a 'country transformed' with 'security vastly improved, 'corruption reduced', the 'opium trade ended'. An immediate outcry followed, with a furious Mark Francois raising the matter at PMQs on Wednesday. Ellwood apologised on Piers Morgan's TalkTV show and subsequently deleted the video but the damage was done. Four members of the Defence Select Committee – Kevan Jones, Mark Francois, Derek Twigg and Richard Drax – have now tabled and published a confidence motion in him, meaning a vote will take place in September after the summer recess following ten sitting days in parliament.

Watch: Nigel Farage launches fresh attack on Coutts

From our UK edition

Coutts gave Nigel Farage the boot as a customer because their reputation risk committee didn't approve of his political views. But the decision has backfired spectacularly and has sparked one of the biggest crises in the bank's 330-year history. The row shows no sign of dying down: last night, Nigel Farage appeared on BBC Newsnight to accuse the bank of behaving like a 'political campaigning organisation'. He said: 'Read the report, read the conclusions. They say Russia is a risk for them. They say my views do not align with the bank's. How on earth a bank that is 40 per cent owned by the British taxpayer after their greedy incompetence led to us bailing them out I do not know. This bank are behaving now like a political campaigning organisation.' https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Watch: Mark Francois savages Tobias Ellwood at PMQs

From our UK edition

There was a good old ding dong at PMQs today. No, not between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, but rather between Mark Francois and an absent Tobias Ellwood. The two Tories both sit on the Defence Select Committee, with Ellwood serving as chair. But the Bournemouth MP has horrified his fellow MPs this week by releasing a bizarre video gushing support for the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. Such simpery has no truck with Francois, who stood up to aim a double-barrelled blast at his fellow Conservative. 'Can I make plain that this was not in our name?' he told the House. 'And can I have the Prime Minister’s assurance that this naïve and silly act wasn’t in his name either?' Sunak stonewalled but the embarrassment was plain for all to see.

Will the BBC now apologise to Nigel Farage?

From our UK edition

Oh dear. It seems that Auntie has done it again. This time it's the row over Nigel Farage's bank account, with the Brexiteer revealing at the end of last month that his Coutts account had been closed with ‘no explanation.’ Farage suggested that this was for political reasons but a week later, the BBC offered up a different explanation. Business Editor Simon Jack fired off an eight-tweet thread on 4 July, citing anonymous sources who suggested that Farage had merely fallen 'below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts.' Jack grandly claimed that 'people familiar with the matter' had rejected the notion that the decision to close his Coutts account was in any way political.

Watch: Nigel Farage claims Coutts account shut over his ‘values’

From our UK edition

The plot thickens. Nigel Farage claims he has got to the bottom of why he was ditched by the elite bank Coutts earlier this year. In a video published to his YouTube account, the former UKIP leader claims he has gained access to a report documenting the bank’s decision to close his account. According to Farage, the reason the bank closed down his account was not because he didn’t have enough cash to bank, but because ‘I don’t fit with their values’. Brandishing the document, Farage describes it as ‘a brief you’d give to a barrister ahead of a serious criminal trial’. ‘From the tone of this document I must be one of the worst human beings to have ever inhabited this planet,’ he declared.

Tobias Ellwood’s Taliban blunder

From our UK edition

It’s long been the case that trips abroad can allow for a new perspective – to broaden the mind. But Mr S can’t help but think, Tobias Ellwood’s summer jaunt to Afghanistan is taking this to an extreme. The Tory MP and chair of the Defence Select Committee has shared a video on Twitter urging people to ‘hold your breath’... Afghanistan is, he says, now a ‘country transformed’ with ‘security vastly improved, ‘corruption reduced’ and the ‘opium trade ended’. It’s a pity, of course, that the Taliban don’t allow women to wear lipstick, but they do have solar panels. https://twitter.com/Tobias_Ellwood/status/1680974793867415554?s=20 This is a far cry from Ellwood’s previous comments on the issue.

What Elena Whitham’s leaked messages reveal about the SNP civil war

From our UK edition

A fierce new critic of the SNP has burst onto the Scottish political scene. This acid-tongued detractor describes Humza Yousaf’s deputy Shona Robison as ‘a bit of a cold fish’, ‘like an automaton’ and ‘painful to listen to’, and says Angus Robertson’s promotion to the Scottish cabinet meant ‘the ego has landed’.  Who is this merciless mocker of the Nationalists? Step forward, Elena Whitham, SNP MSP and Scottish government drugs minister. Whitham, who recently called for the decriminalisation of all drugs, is splashed across the front page of today’s Daily Record.  The paper has acquired her contributions to a WhatsApp group of SNP politicians.

Labour mayor quits and torches Keir

From our UK edition

So. Farewell then. Jamie Driscoll. The left-wing North of Tyne mayor – widely described as the 'last Corbynista in power' – has today quit the Labour party with a double-barrelled blast at Keir Starmer. Driscoll was last month barred from the longlist to run in the new expanded north east authority after appearing at an event alongside film maker Ken Loach. And today Driscoll has exacted his revenge by dramatically quitting and firing a departing blast at the Starmer army. In a series of tweets, Driscoll says that if he can raise £25,000 for a campaign by the end of August, he will stand as an independent against Labour’s candidate for north-east mayor. He argues that: The only "whip" should be the people. The North East needs an experienced, independent voice.

Six times Starmer’s team demanded benefits cap be scrapped

From our UK edition

In fairness to Keir Starmer, he only U-turns when his lips move. In an impressive double yesterday, the Labour leader managed to U-turn twice in one interview with Laura Kuenssberg. Starmer managed to both float and then, er, reject the notion that Labour would change the Bank of England's inflation target (nice one!) while also confirming that the party is no longer committed to scrapping the two-child benefits cap. This longtime Labour policy appears to have been unceremoniously dropped sometime within the last few months despite both Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner winning their mandates on it. Below is a quick list by Mr S on half-a-dozen Labour frontbenchers who have promised to scrap the cap...

Boris: Get Ukraine into Nato ASAP

From our UK edition

Boris Johnson’s post-premiership crusade continues. The former PM has today attacked Nato for being too soft on Ukraine’s accession. The alliance decided earlier this week that any invitation would be handed out only once ‘conditions are met’ (Svitlana Morenets has more here). Johnson writes in his Daily Mail column: No country is in greater need of Nato membership. All the Alliance needed to do was to set out a timetable — not for instant membership; that makes no sense as long as the war is live — but for membership as soon as victory is won. It comes after an interview with CNN earlier this week where Johnson said there was ‘no excuse or reason to continue faffing around’ on whether Ukraine should join Nato.

Ex-BBC presenters close ranks around Huw Edwards 

From our UK edition

In the days since the Huw Edwards scandal broke, the television broadcaster's wife has been praised for a dignified statement citing her husband's mental health struggle – with the presenter currently in hospital. Meanwhile, the police finding of no evidence of criminal behaviour means that the BBC is allowed to resume its original investigation. Some staff are taking matters into their own hands – with reports that some journalists at the corporation were looking into the alleged behaviour of Edwards before the Sun story broke.  There is one group particularly unimpressed at the news: former BBC staff.

Watch: BMA tells striking doctors to focus on ‘rest and relaxation’

From our UK edition

Junior doctors are once again back on strike today, as they kick-off the longest industrial action in NHS history in pursuit of a 35 per cent pay rise. Up to 46,000 medics in England will spend the next five days away from the hospital, in yet another blow to the kneecaps of the already hobbling NHS. If you didn’t need reminding of the impossibility of accessing the health service at the moment, waiting lists in England are still at over seven million, while around 600,000 NHS appointments have been postponed or cancelled by previous strikes. Still, it seems like some people have other concerns when it comes to the impacts of the industrial action.

SNP in crisis, again

From our UK edition

In fairness to the Nats, they never let things get too dull. Just days after losing his party’s whip, SNP MP and Salmond ally Angus MacNeil has now announced that he will sit as an independent candidate until at least October. MacNeil was seen in the Commons last week having a bust-up with Chief Whip Brendan O’Hara but time is yet to heal his wounds, judging by the fiery statement he has released this afternoon.  ‘I will only seek the SNP whip again if it is clear that the SNP are pursuing independence,’ sniped MacNeil. ‘At the moment, the SNP has become a brand name missing the key ingredient. The urgency for independence is absent.’ A dig at First Minister Humza Yousaf’s garbled new independence strategy, perhaps…?

Alex Salmond to launch pro-indy TV show

From our UK edition

They say all publicity is good publicity. But perhaps that sentiment isn’t shared by those in Bute House at the news that Alex Salmond is launching his own pro-independence TV programme. The former First Minister will become the latest politician to turn TV presenter this week when he launches his new show on Thursday: ‘Scotland Speaks – with Alex Salmond.’ Like a Tartan Tucker, he will be hosting it on social media from Slàinte Media’s brand new Glasgow studio. But with the National having mastered the art of Scexit propaganda, is there really any need for more separatist media coverage? Salmond certainly thinks so.

Flashback: Sunak mocks Truss over mortgage rates

From our UK edition

It's a red letter day for Rishi Sunak. No, he hasn't succeeded in fulfilling any of his five priorities. Instead, the average two-year fixed-rate mortgage has today passed the peak seen in the wake of the Truss government’s mini-budget. Mortgage rates have soared in recent months, following the Bank of England's interest rate hikes to try to tackle rampant inflation. Two-year fixed deals have now reached 6.66 per cent on average – a level not seen since August 2008. That rate is of course higher than the 6.65 per cent reached on 20 October last year, when Tory MPs were in full meltdown. Back then some Sunak allies were crowing that they had seen this all coming: that her unfunded tax cuts made this inevitable and that a U-turn was needed.

Watch: Tory MP defends Harriet Harman

From our UK edition

Boris Johnson might have shuffled off the parliamentary stage but there was still one last drama to play out last night. The House of Commons met to debate the 'special report' prepared by the Privileges Committee into the MPs who criticised their integrity when they probed the former Prime Minister. Amid the usual partisan taking points, Mr S was struck by a speech by one of the more thoughtful members of the 2019 intake, Laura Farris. With tears forming in her eyes, the Newbury MP spoke out in defence of the committee's chairman Harriet Harman who was unanimously elected to the post in June 2022: To contextualise the appointment of the Mother of the House, I want to say on her behalf that she had already announced her intention to retire from Parliament at the next election.

Claims about BBC presenter ‘rubbish’ says young person’s lawyer

From our UK edition

Allegations about a BBC presenter paying £35,000 for sexually explicit photos are 'rubbish' according to the lawyer of the young person involved. In a legal statement released tonight they claim that the child's mother has made inaccurate statements to the Sun newspaper about the nature of the relationship between the unknown Corporation star and their client. The statement says that the young person sent a denial to the Sun on Friday evening saying there was 'no truth to it'. However, the 'inappropriate article' was still published, the lawyer says. In their letter, they write that: 'For the avoidance of doubt, nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality and the allegations reported in the Sun newspaper are rubbish.

GB News investigated… again

From our UK edition

Another day, another investigation into GB News. This time though it's not Ofcom probing the self-proclaimed 'people's channel', but rather the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards. Daniel Greenberg KC today opened a probe into one of its hosts, Lee Anderson, over claims that he has breached the MPs' code of conduct. It comes after the Conservative party deputy chairman filmed a promotional video for his television show on the roof terrace in parliament. According to House of Commons rules, 'members must ensure that the use of facilities and services provided to them by Parliament, including an office, is in support of their parliamentary activities.' Whoops! This is just the latest in a series of probes that the news channel and its presenters have had to face in recent months.

BBC suspend presenter over explicit photo allegations

From our UK edition

For the BBC, it never rains but it pours. Having only just emerged from the row over Richard Sharp's appointment, the Corporation has now been plunged into fresh controversy over an unnamed star who has reportedly paid a teenager £35,000 for sexually explicit photos. On Saturday, the Sun splashed the story across its front page but chose to not name the presenter. This afternoon though the BBC decided to suspend the star, amid much online speculation as to his identity, and are now in contact with the police. In a statement, the Corporation said that: 'The BBC first became aware of a complaint in May. New allegations were put to us on Thursday of a different nature and in addition to our own enquiries we have also been in touch with external authorities, in line with our protocols.

Is Mhairi Black Westminster’s laziest MP?

From our UK edition

The dust is settling after the SNP Westminster group’s deputy leader announced she would be standing down at the next election — but has Mhairi Black’s record in parliament been scrutinised quite enough? Former first minister Nicola Sturgeon says she is ‘gutted’ about Black’s departure, while FM Humza Yousaf called Black a ‘trailblazer’. But Mr S isn’t so sure they should be all that sad to see the back of her… It appears the Westminster group’s deputy leader has more bark than bite. Of all the SNP’s 2015 intake who remain in parliament, Black has made the fewest spoken contributions — and by a rather large margin. SNP MP Alison Thewliss has taken part in 1,197 debates, while Alan Brown has spoken in 1,148.